Non-Parental Custody

Hendricks Co., IN Family Law Attorney Fights for Clients Seeking Non-Parental Custody

The loss of a parent’s rights is never an easy process to undergo. Whether you are considering voluntarily relinquishing custody of your children or are a third party petitioning the court for custody, it is important your rights are protected. Obtaining the counsel of an attorney who understands Indiana law and will help you through the process is vital in matters of this kind of importance.

Indiana family lawyer James L. Lowry has over 40 years of experience with these kinds of cases and can help you through the complicated process. He will help to make sure that your interests are protected at each step of your case.

Non-Parental Custody

If the Indiana court system concludes that the child’s best interests are better served with non-biological parents than the child’s own, the Court can terminate the parental rights of the biological parents. There are several different ways to go about getting custody of a non-biological child. Working with an experienced Indiana family law firm to find the best course of action in your situation is vital in winning your case.

The three main routes for non-parental custody are:

  • Parental consent: Establishing non-parental custody through parental consent is the easiest process. Both parents agree and sign a voluntary consent and termination of parental rights, and another family member will take primary parental responsibility for the child or children.
  • Third-party petition: If a non-parental family member has concerns about the well-being of a child under the care of a biological parent, custody litigation can be started by filing a petition in the Family Court for temporary or concurrent custody. If the parents do not consent to non-parental custody, it must be proved that the parents are “unfit” in some way, which includes neglect, abuse, abandonment or the inability to provide for a child’s needs.
  • Dependency Cases – If a parent is accused of child abuse, neglect and abandonment, protective services will investigate. If the court determined that the parents have indeed abused, neglected or abandoned a child, child protective services will remove that child and place the child in state custody.

Call Today for Effective and Compassionate Legal Counsel

Getting a child out of danger and into a safe, healthy situation is important. To discuss your case of non-parental custody, contact Indiana Non-Parental Custody Lawyer James L. Lowry today at his Danville, IN office at (317) 745-4408.